Monday, June 16, 2008

Livin' it up!

When I was younger my "ideal" life consisted of living in a small town. Where trees lined the streets, and lamp post lined the path. Where everyone knew everyone, and we would all greet each other with a smile and a wave, and say "good afternoon __________" and know their name. When we would go out to eat the owners would know us, and know what our usual is. We would have town picnics, and parades, and bake offs, and carnivals.

We would live in a perfectly cute little white house, with a red door. We would have flowers everywhere. We would have a boat in the garage, and a dog roaming the yard. I would be in the kitchen in my apron baking up something yummy and the kids would always be playing in their tree fort. And when Daddy came home from work we would all sit down to a nice dinner together in our dining room that had big ole' windows over looking the lake.

I wanted to marry the high school football coach. We would of course be living in some small town in Texas or somewhere of the likes, where high school football is a BIG deal. And of course, my hubby's team would be state champions every year.

It would be lovely.

I am just a small town girl. And granted I didn't marry a high school football coach, .......furthest from it, (hubby doesn't like football.) We don't have a big white house on a lake, we don't have a boat in the garage, or a tree house in the yard. But I still have the feeling of that life as when I was little imagining it up.

I still wear an apron everyday. My cherry one. When the hubby comes home we sit together to eat a yummy dinner. We love each other with our whole heart and their is no place like home. When we go to our favorite local places to eat, the owners call us by name, they sit us and bring us our drinks, before we even order, because they know what we want. They ask how are kids are, they know what each of their interests are. We have parades and picnics, and it is lovely.

Saturday was our town's birthday. We took the kids to the parade. Avery is my gal! She loved it just like her Mama. We were waving and clapping. The boys liked the Monster truck and the Military tank. They also liked that a few of the floats threw candy their way. The day ended with a firework show. It was a perfect "small town" day.

That is what makes me happy. I am happiest at home with my kids. I am happiest baking or making stuff. I am happiest with the simple life. I don't need to "live it up" as most would think. I am living it up quietly, happily and it is so lovely.

What makes you happiest? How do you "live it up?"


8 comments:

RC said...

IT MAKES ME HAPPY TO KNOW THAT YOU ARE YOUR MOTHER'S CHILD, AND THAT AVERY IS ALSO FOLLOWING IN THOSE FOOT PRINTS. SLICE ME OFF A PIECE OF SMALL TOWN AMERICANA. LOVE IT!

RC said...

P.S. I LOVE THE LAST PICTURE! IT'S AS THOUGH AVERY IS A MIRROR IMAGE OF YOU, AS YOU GAZE BACK INTO THE IMAGINATION OF YOUR YOUTH. (DEEP)

Trecia Estes said...

Looks like fun. I love the city traditional celebrations....but I have to ask... WHO hates football. Especially High School football. Nothing is better than high school football. I am sure your sweet hubby must have some very redeeming parts to him:o) Just kidding...it's just hard for a texas girl to imagine any guy not liking football, but I have heard they are out there :o)

Heather said...

I know, it was wierd to me when he told me he wasn't a football fan. He doesn't hate it, he just isn't crazy about it. He is more of a "crazy" sports guy. He LIVES for world cup and he is ALL over all the extreme sports, - skiing, biking, skateboarding. All that crazy stuff that is going to get my kids seriously hurt!! He was a pro skiier, so that is why.

I'm the football fan of the house.

Jess said...

I love the small town feel with a Target and grocery store close by.

Jamie Lynn said...

I have to second Jess's comment. I have a similar "small town" feel out here in the boonies, but it is definitely nice to have some nice shopping close by. Our little "town" 4th of July party was a ton of fun last year, for all the same reasons...small, quaint and family fun!

Jennifer Richins said...

I have to agree with you, I love the charm of a small town. And I never really pictured anything in particular when I was growing up. But I love knowing all of my neighbors and all the kids in the area play at each other's houses. I can't wait to raise my children in this kind of environment.

Hollie said...

Fun stuff! That is something I enjoyed about living in Maricopa. We had all the perks & traditions of a small town, but Phoenix wasn't far off so we had all the positives of a big town too, like shopping.
I'm with you on what makes me happy. I'm most happy when I'm with my family and doing something creative that I enjoy. Although lately that's something I've been struggling with. I've been in quite a funk and haven't been feeling creative and when I do attempt something it doesn't turn out quite how I'd like. I'm on a quest to find something I'm really good at and truly enjoy.