An attitude of gratitude.....
As a society we go from Orange & Black to Red & Green. We forget the time in between. We go from handing out candy, to handing out gifts. Unfortunately some of us miss the "in-between." I think sometimes what's in the middle counts the most! For instance - Twinkies, sandwiches, books, and Thanksgiving! So I am going to go from handing out candy, to handing out THANKS, then to handing out gifts.
This last year I have tried to keep a gratitude journal. Every night (well I was suposed to write every night) I would write down 5 things that I was grateful for. Sometimes it was hard, and I just counted on my usual,
my hubby
my kids
the gospel
my home
my health
and other times it was easy, and I would feel bad because my "usuals" were not even on my list because I had so many other things I was feeling grateful for. One day I wrote down pickles. I was craving pickles, and I ate one and it made my day SOOOO much better. Some times it would be a phone call from a friend, a lot of times it would be for yet another trial, that I KNEW was going to make me a better person.
This November, as a family, we are going to do a gratitude garland. We will make a cute little garland tomorrow and every night we will, as a family, write on one of the leaves something we are grateful for. Then on Thanksgiving we will have all of our leaves to read. We have been so blessed as a family, and I think our kids are getting old enough to really start recognizing just how much we have been given. I am excited to teach them this, and see what happiness and peace it will bring them. To know that no matter what they face, that their family and their Heavenly Father loves them.
I also want to share with you, my loyal blog readers.........all 4 of you, some of the things I am grateful for.
Today, November 1st, I am most grateful for our friend Anne that is staying with us right now. She has been such a help today. I am really feeling under the weather and she has been such a doll and has cleaned up the kitchen....twice, played with the kids so I could rest and re-filled countless juice cups. She doesn't have to do this, and I have even asked her not to because it was starting to make me feel bad, just sitting here like a log, but she does it, with a smile on her face.
What are you thankful for today?

6 comments:
Before I forget, let me say I love your new banner. This is such a nice post. The thanksgiving garland is such a great idea, I may have to steal it. Make sure to post pictures. I am very excited to meet Anne. I've heard such great things about her, she sounds like such a sweetie!
Ok, first of all......LOVE your header! Maybe because I'm in it...hee hee ;) VERY cute! You really should have some sort of creative store/website or something, you are one of the most creative people I know! Secondly, LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of the garland, I'm going to have to steal that from you! Thanks!!! I'm thankful today for my AWESOME friend Heather who's blogs always perk me up!
This is so true, I was at the store last night and all the halloween stuff was gone and low and behold tons of christmas stuff. So thanks for pointing out the in between :)
TODAY I AM GRATEFUL FOR A DAUGHTER WHO REMEMBERS TO BE GRATEFUL. I'M GRATEFUL THAT TODAY IS FRIDAY. I'M GRATEFUL THAT THIS WEEKEND I GET TO BE THERE WHEN MY NEWEST GRANDSON IS BLESSED. I'M THANKFUL THAT I GOT TO TALK TO ONE OF MY ADORABLE GRAND-DAUGHTERS ON THE PHONE TODAY. :)
I love the garland idea too! I have many things to be grateful for at this time. But today, I am grateful for a day in the 70s instead of the 80s. I am grateful I felt my baby kick. (It has been worrying me because I haven't felt it until today.)
AWWW!! Jess, I am so glad you shared that. That makes me grateful too! I'm glad that he/she is kicking away!!
Post a Comment