Thursday, June 12, 2008

Color Make over, part one

So I finally have some things done to show you.

I know you have all been waiting ever so patiently to see what I came up with, seeing as how I asked you all for your input over a month ago! What can I say, life has been full lately!

Anyways, here is part one of what I have come up with. It was love at first sight when I saw this fabric!! I LOVE the brown zebra print!!! And the pom-pom fringe, and the ribbon on the lamp shade, and ...............well, I love it all! It's been a LONG time since I LOVED one of my rooms.

The striped fabric is actually a sheet! Got it for $6 a sheet at Ross! Don't be afraid to think outside the box. There are no rules when it comes to creating! And like the Nester says: "it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful!"

My style is "Homey." (Kinda gangsta, huh? You know it!!!) I wanted something nice and comfy. So I made the pillows and the slip cover, that way if the kids ruined them, I can either make new ones, or just throw it in the wash. When the kids are older I will invest in re-upholstering, but for now, a slip cover on the "reading" chair is our friend!

We re-painted the buffet and the end table. They were hideously old!! We have some new pieces, and some pieces found at garage sales and some we saved from the side of the curb to go out to garbage. Yes, we are trash hunters. We ain't too proud, especially when it comes to gorgeous pieces of furniture that just need some lovin'. I added some color to my flower bouquet. I just added a little zing here and there, and Voila! A room make-over that is easy on the budget and easy on the eye!!!

So here ya go! Hope this inspires some of you Decorating Diva's to do a quick little make-over. It can be fast, it can be cheap, and it will be worth it!!!
**And for those of you long time followers, you may be thinking to yourself "Is that a different home she's in?" The answer is yes!! We moved a couple months ago, we decided to go the Dave Ramsey route and let me tell ya, it's the BEST decision we ever made. Downsizing seems like such a negative thing in this society, but really, do we need a 4500 sqft home and the payment that goes with it?? NO!!! Why is it that when someone says "I am on a diet and want to lose weight" we applaud them, but when someone says "I am on a budget and want to save money" we automatically think they must not be making it. I think we should start applauding those that are losing "money" weight too!! We decided to put all of our money and efforts into Jason's company, and as Mr. Ramsey would say, we are "Living like no one else, so we CAN live like no one else!" And we ain't looking back!! For those of you haven't read his book "Total Money Makeover" I HIGHLY recommend it. It's one of the books on my end table, that and "How to be Lovely."

10 comments:

Jess said...

I love it all! You have definitely inspired me for when I have the time to do some things to my home. I love the stripes and the colors. It looks great!

Jamie Lynn said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!! You rock girly! I always have my ideas in my head forever, but it usually never gets all the way done. You keep going, til it's all done! FABULOUS!

KatBouska said...

You're awesome, and it's so true. I love the comparison you make about losing weight vs. money weight. Why do we all feel driven to have to buy the biggest and the best houses we see? It seems so much more rational to spend that money on things that actually matter. I love it and I'm definitely going to look into giving Pat that book to read. :)

RC said...

SO EXCITED TO SEE THE FINISHED PRODUCTS, I GOT TO SEE THE RAW MATERIALS WHEN I WAS UP THERE. THEY LOOK FABULOUS DARLING! I LOVE THEM. SO GLAD YOU FOUND YOUR BROWN ZEBRA PRINT. THE PILLOWS ARE SO COTTAGE CHIC, LOVE IT, IT ALL LOOKS REALLY GREAT. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE REST OF THE CREATIONS WE COOKED UP WHILE I WAS THERE. AND YOU KNOW I'M WITH YOU SISTER ON YOUR FINANCIAL WORDS, MATTER OF FACT THEY SOUND LIKE WORDS I'VE USED OVER THE YEARS, WHICH I HEARD MY DAD USE OVER THE YEARS. LOVE YA KIDDO.

Robin said...

So cute Heather! I wouldn't even attempt a slip cover. A normal pillowcase sure but not a cute decorative pillow. Downsizing is cool. I have to remind myself that my circumstances could be worse and I wont be living in this basement forever.

Anonymous said...

I love the zebra one! Susie H

Trecia Estes said...

I love your house. Let me tell you, I wish I could down size 6 days out of 7. Just think of what I could do with all of the time I spend cleaning and money cooling this place. PHEW! Someday when the kids are gone I will live in a little condo somewhere that is 75 degrees year round. No cleaning OR cooling bills :o)

The Nester said...

Do we EVER have a lot in common! You are one of those people that I want to come to my house and spend they day shaking things up a bit!

BRAVO for your adorable, easy, inexpensive makeover! I would stand up and cheer if anyone could see me!

BRAVO for going against the flow and moving to a smaller house! We just did the same and it is very freeing!

Now I have a bunch of stuff that I don't need!

Heart you girl and be sure to link up first thing on monday--people will love this!

Hollie said...

Super cute creations, I love them all! I totally need help giving my family room a makeover.

Jennifer Richins said...

I'm loving all of it! Super cute fabrics and I recognize those cute picture frames! I haven't put mine up yet, but I"m trying to conjure up a spot perfect for them.