Thursday, March 25, 2010

A work in progress

When we first moved into this house, (in August) I was so excited to get it done and decorated. It's the smallest house we have lived in in awhile. We went from 4500sqft, to living in a "transitional" place for over a year, to here at 2200sqft. And I must say, I was so excited to be able to actually afford to decorate my ENTIRE house. I have been married for almost 12 years, and I have never been able to have the majority of my house reflect us and how we roll.

So I set out on a mission when we moved here. I have hit a few snags, and the last few months I have been in so much pain and so sick that it takes a lot to get me out of bed these days, but I REALLY want to get back to the old me. Even if I have to fake it for awhile.

I decided to resume my decorating project.

A TEN FOR UNDER $100.

My goal is to finish each room for $100 or less. To turn each room into a "TEN!" and no more "it's good enough."

Like I said, I started a few rooms back in the fall, but today I am going to share a few of the projects I did in my boys room.

I really wanted this to be THEIR room, to reflect them, and boy does it. I think this room has everything in it, but we magically made it work!!! It has soccer, transformers, spiderman, monster trucks, star wars, and skateboarding galore!

First off, their beds. I LOVE what I came up with. I looked high and low for bedding that would fit in my budget, and NOTHING was working, I would have easily blown my entire $100 budget on their bedding, so I had to come up with something else. I decided to take a King size comforter and cut it in half. It works perfectly! (Never mind the actual bed, we are buying them a new one, and that doesn't count in the budget because we decided that before I made up this fun little game!)

Photobucket

And the best part, I already had this comforter, so I was out no money on their bedding. I cut the comforter in half, stitched it up and voila! The sheet sets were $6 per bed, they included the pillow-cases. I found that steal at Ross. I always check Ross and TJ Maxx before any where else. They don't always have what I want, but when they do,..........it makes me dance in the aisle a bit.

For the throw pillows we went through some old shirts of the boys and they picked a few of their favorite designs and we cut them into squares, stitched 3 sides, stuffed them, stitched up the last side, and there ya go, custom boys throw pillows. They loved it because they got to help with this project, I loved it because it added A LOT to their room and NOTHING to my budget!

Photobucket

Next we needed to add somewhere for them to read. The hubby saw this in the IKEA catalog and thought it would be perfect. It was $19.99. The flag is from the Monster Truck World Jam from a few years back.

Photobucket

I saw this in a Pottery Barn catalog and LOVED it. So I put the Hubby to work. We used one of his old skateboards, and bought another one for $10. The frames I had already, the books too, and Blaise made the lego car.

Photobucket

And lastly, the boys helped me design the art work for these frames. (again, we already had the frames) And we found the soccer ball piggy bank at Hobby Lobby for $6.

Photobucket

So there you have it. So far I have spent $48, and I'm on track! We need to paint in there and do a window treatment and MAYBE a rug. I also need to put pictures in the frames and I want to get BIG pictures of them for in between their beds, kinda like this, I also want to do window treatments like this too, AND paint the walls this color!



I know the BIG pictures won't fit into the budget, but I'm not counting them as part of the under $100 because............well I don't know why, but it's my game, so I can break the rules, right?!!

So I $52 to do the window treatment, buy the paint, and get a rug! I can do it!!!!!



Photobucket

4 comments:

RC said...

I love this game! Isn't it the best feeling to get your creative groove on, get a project done, all for a bargain price. Plus you are super good at it. Love it!

Very cool idea for the throw pillows.

Jennifer Richins said...

I like it. Especially the skateboard shelves. Very cool.

Christy Wheeler said...

I love it all!! You are so creative! It is so fun to decorate, I am so excited to decorate our new house. So many ideas!!
And I agree with you about Benton, the first person that I thought he looked like was Jason. Which he is pretty handsome so we are okay with that :) Can't wait for you guys to see him. We are thinking about coming to Utah in June so hopefully that will work and we can see you then!

The Lingo Family said...

Holy Cow!!!! Super cute. I am LOVING the skateboard shelves. How adorable is that!!!! Almost makes me wish I had a little boy and I have never wished that before. Your t-shirt throw pillows are RAD!!! You go Super Crafty Mama.